Friday, October 31, 2008

Bucket List Caramel Apple Dip

Again, I’ve hit a bit of a rut, and haven’t posted in a while. Actually, I haven’t cooked anything new, eaten anywhere cool, or read anything that great in a while. But all that is about to change. I’m reading right now, cooking this week, and Top Chef starts in another 2 weeks, so I’ll be in business with more crap to spin into good reading then I can handle!

Anyway, in light of the fact that it’s Halloween and clearly fall, I have something to offer. Fall means apples. Good, crisp, tasty, apples the size of a softball. Granny Smiths, Honey Crisps, Gala, and the nebulous and elusive New Zealand. Some are better for eating, some better for cooking, some better for dipping into large vats of gooey molten caramel. That’s not exactly right because any of them dipped into caramel is a good thing. That said, I humbly offer my newest post on apples and caramel.

Ordinarily, I would avoid posting a recipe that I hadn’t at least tried to make myself. But this one was just so good I just couldn’t help it. This comes courtesy of a co-worker of mine, Diane. She brought this plate of sin into our office today with a bag of apples, and now we all want to lie of the floor and take a nap.

Diane’s Bucket List Caramel Dip:
2 Bricks of softened cream cheese
2/3 of a cup of brown sugar
1 tub of Marzetti caramel dip (or you can make your own if you’re feeling ambitious)
1 bad of Heath bar pieces, available in the baking isle with the chocolate chips and stuff
Eat then die, per Diane’s original instructions.

Mix the cream cheese and brown sugar together, and spread it into two pie dishes. Heat the caramel for 30 seconds, and spread it over the cream cheese/brown sugar mixture. Top with the Heath bar pieces, and serve with apple slices.

It’s simple, easy, no cooking per se required, and only a small and minimal blast of heat. Good stuff.

No comments: